Governance of the Canadian Nordic Society
The Canadian Nordic Society (CNS) was founded in 1963 by Letters Patent issued under the then applicable legislation, namely, Part II of The Companies Act, Revised Statutes of Canada 1952, c. 53, which later became Part II of the Canada Corporations Act, Revised Statutes of Canada 1970, c. C-32.
The latter Act was subsequently superseded by the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, Statutes of Canada 2009, c. 23, currently in effect. It required the CNS, as a non-profit corporation, to apply to continue its existence under the new legislation and also to amend its bylaws to conform with requirements of the new Act.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of May 2013 authorized an application for Articles of Continuance under the new Act. A Certificate of Continuance dated October 10, 2013 was issued by Industry Canada certifying the issue of Articles of Continuance, continuing CNS under the new Act. The May 28, 2014 AGM adopted a new By-law to govern the internal administration of CNS in conformity with the new Act.
Information on the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act and the transition process is at
Canadian Nordic Society